Airbrush Tanning Instructions
Follow these Tips to Insure the Best Tanning Results
There are many variables that affect the quality of an airbrushed tan. Two individuals can receive the exact same tanning treatment and experience very different results. Spray tan solution reacts differently with different skin types. What may appear to be a deep, dark color on one person may look golden on another. Also, in general, people with darker skin tones will experience darker sunless tanning results.
- Wear dark, loose fitting clothing and flip flops after your tan is COMPLETELY dry. Wearing tight fitting clothing will rub on your tan and cause it to develop unevenly. NO BRAS! If you need to put on tight clothing before your first shower, wait at least 4 hours.
- DO NOT wet your skin for at least 8 hours after tanning. The longer the solution has time to react with your skin the better your tan will develop. Avoid exercising or perspiring as this may cause your tan to streak until your first shower. Use a towel for leather and light colored seats on warm days and an umbrella for rainy days.
- Shower normally and don’t be concerned if some color washes off. This is normal. It is the initial bronzing agent which won’t affect the color of your tan. Use a mesh shower puff LIGHTLY, NEVER SCRUB! Always try to shower in warm water, not hot!
- Moisturize! Moisturize! Moisturize! Moisturize! TWICE or MORE daily! Applying moisturizer to your skin the first 10 minutes out of the shower is best! Hydrated skin makes your tan last longer. Alcohol based products are drying to the skin making your tan fade more quickly. Avoid using lotions with AHA (Alpha Hydroxy Acid), BHA (Beta Hydroxy Acid), Retin-A and Mineral Oil in it. Absolutely NO DOVE PRODUCTS! Avoid exfoliating, hair removal creams or bleaching products. Sulfate free body wash is best.
- Avoid long, hot showers/baths, hot tubs and long periods in pools and oceans. If so, use waterproof sunscreen to seal your tan in. No oil! Always PAT dry with a towel after showering and when washing hands.
Remember, not all skin will tan the same. The better condition your skin is in, the better your tan will look and last. We recommend using Brown Sugar- Sugar Coat Spray, Aveda Replenishing Moisturizer and Aveda Calming Body Wash. It contains the most effective ingredients to extend the life of your tan and to make sure it fades evenly. Certain foods such as sardines, medications, and a host of other factors such as “that time of the month” can affect the pH balance of your skin. This pH imbalance affects the way in which the DHA reacts with your skin and for no apparent reason you may fade unevenly or appear blotchy.
In the event your tan starts to fade unevenly, we recommend using Brown Sugar- Sugar Coat Spray to fill in those areas. It is a fine aerosol mist which dries in less than 2 minutes. In the rare chance you develop darker spots on your skin, use a little hydrogen peroxide, lemon juice, or whitening toothpaste to even them out. Dab on with a qtip.
Wearing white clothing is not recommended until AFTER your second shower. Some people hold on the bronzing agent a little longer than others so you may see a hint more wash down the drain with the second showering. After that, you’ll be fine. Also remember, wearing consistently tighter clothing will rub on the tan and you may fade faster in those areas.
IMPORTANT! Our tanning solution does not provide ANY sun protection and it does NOT contain sunscreen. Make sure to apply sunscreen to prevent sunburn when outdoors!
Products to Avoid List
This is a list of commonly used body care products that can have a detrimental affect on an Airbrushed tan. This is not all-inclusive. Not everyone will have a problem with these items. This is only a guide. If you have any questions or concerns, please as your tanning technician.
The following products can lighten or make a sunless tan blotchy:
- A women’s tan may develop differently during various hormonal changes such as ovulation, menstruation or pregnancy. It may be streaky, patchy, fade worse, or produce lighter or no color.
- AHA products such as Alpha Hydroxy Acids, Glycolic, Lactic, Malic, Citric, and Tartaric Acids.
- Anti-Acne products that exfoliate or dry the skin. Accutane and Salicylic acid can affect tan fading. Skin can also peel when using these products. Antibiotics or other medications that affect your skin can also affect your tan.
- Anti- Aging products that “renew” or “refresh” or otherwise exfoliate skin
- Band-Aid or adhesive tape applied to skin will pull tan off.
- Bars soaps, especially deodorant or antibacterial varieties. Use sulfate free body wash get instead!
- BHA Products such as Beta Hydroxy Acids- salicylic acid.
- Body hair bleaching products
- Adhesive facials strips or peel off masks
- Bug sprays, perfumes, body sprays when sprayed directly onto skin can remove or fade the tan. Instead, spray clothing or spray a cloud of spray that you can walk through.
- Curel lotion has destroyed a few tans
- Dove soap and shower gel will fade tan faster on most people. NO DOVE PRODUCTS!
- Facial masks and exfoliation scrubs
- Hair inhibiting lotions, such as Jergens, can tend to make a sunless tan yellow.
- If you exercise and sweat heavily, your tan will fade faster. Especially in body fold areas... arm bends, knee bends, and between breasts
- In winter skin is often very dry and your tan will fade faster. Moisturize more often at least twice a day. Aveda replenishing moisturizer is a very good body lotion for this. Stay away from lotions with MINERAL OIL as its first few ingredients. Mineral oil as well as baby oil are both bad for sunless tanning.
- Make up remover cleaning products or oils used to clean away makeup. Rub very gently
- Pat dry out of the shower NEVER RUB skin dry.
- People with oily skin tend to develop a lighter tan than people with dry skin. The oils can coat the skin. Dry skin absorbs more products faster so the tan can look darker as well.
- Retin-A type products such as Retin-A, Renova, Tazorac, and Tretinoin all will cause faster fading.
- Shaving exfoliates the skin so also fades the tan. Use a sharp, clean razor with hair conditioner instead of shaving cream.
- Submersion in hot tubs or swimming pools due to the chlorine. Your tan will fade FAST if you spend a lot of time in pools and oceans. Chlorine will fade your tan right off.
- Toners containing Alcohols or Which Hazel in the top three ingredients listed are bad to use before or during the course of your airbrush tan
- Use a soft mesh shower puff for daily washing and scrub gloves or loofas for exfoliating days
- Wax or Depilatory hair removal products such as Nair, Veet or Neet.
Our Vision Statement
At taj salon & spa, we are a professional, life changing team that exceeds expectations. We are innovative and passionate individuals, always seeking advanced knowledge while caring for our community and our earth.